Slackware 12.1 CPU problemi...

Se avete problemi con l'installazione e la configurazione di Slackware postate qui. Non usate questo forum per argomenti generali... per quelli usate Gnu/Linux in genere.

Moderatore: Staff

Regole del forum
1) Citare sempre la versione di Slackware usata, la versione del Kernel e magari anche la versione della libreria coinvolta. Questi dati aiutano le persone che possono rispondere.
2) Per evitare confusione prego inserire in questo forum solo topic che riguardano appunto Slackware, se l'argomento è generale usate il forum Gnu/Linux in genere.
3) Leggere attentamente le risposte ricevute.
4) Scrivere i messaggi con il colore di default, evitare altri colori.
5) Scrivere in Italiano o in Inglese, se possibile grammaticalmente corretto, evitate stili di scrittura poco chiari, quindi nessuna abbreviazione tipo telegramma o scrittura stile SMS o CHAT.
6) Appena registrati è consigliato presentarsi nel forum dedicato.

La non osservanza delle regole porta a provvedimenti di vari tipo da parte dello staff, in particolare la non osservanza della regola 5 porta alla cancellazione del post e alla segnalazione dell'utente. In caso di recidività l'utente rischia il ban temporaneo.
Rispondi
tftd
Linux 0.x
Linux 0.x
Slackware: 12.2
Kernel: 2.6.29.4
Desktop: Gnome 2.26.3

Slackware 12.1 CPU problemi...

Messaggio da tftd »

Hey,

A couple of days ago I installed slackware 12.1 with gslacky 2.22.3. I started slackware and everything was going REALLY slow... It tooked me about 10 minutes to load slackware!?! After I logged in and typed top I sa CPU 80-100% and on the top - kjournald which was using 80-95% of cpu. Everything else was using cpu/mem at about 0-15%.
So I typed lsmod and saw an endless list of modules I just DON'T need... Because this has happened before to me I thought "Let's download the latest kernel and reconfigure it".
That's exactly what I did - a brand new kernel 2.6.26 (from kernel.org) with everything I need for my pc and nothing else ( as usual ). Rebooted and things speeded - it tooked me about 3 minutes and 40 sec to load which is normal ( for my pc). I thought "Yey ... fixed.." - stupid me.
Started X11 and right after that the cpu whent 80-100% again..
Again I ran a Terminal and typed top and again kjournald was on the top of the list with 80-95% usage of the cpu...

I have a few questions:
1) Why do I need kjournald ?
2) Do I really need it ?
3) Why would I need it ?
4) Why does this program using so much resources ?

I know that `kjournald` is used for journaling ext3 partitions but.. Is there any replacement of this and the most important question - why is it taking so much resources ?! Everything in the kernel is configured as it should be - chipset,processor type,network,video,audio,usb, file systems - everything is configured exactly for my machine.

This is a lspci if somebody needs it:

Codice: Seleziona tutto

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
0a:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev 01)

Thanks in advance,
tftd

Blizzard
Master
Master
Nome Cognome: Giovanni Santostefano
Kernel: 2.6.27.7-smp
Desktop: Fluxbox
Contatta:

Re: Slackware 12.1 CPU problemi...

Messaggio da Blizzard »

Hi!

I've tested the situation and my kjournald pratically takes 0%CPU and it's not invoked for long time.
Don't know the possible guilty of your problem (CPU or other sw/hw). I hope someone here in the community can answer.

edit: I've found this, maybe can help you
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/200 ... 00059.html

Bye
Gio

tftd
Linux 0.x
Linux 0.x

Messaggio da tftd »

Thanks Blizzard.
As I wrote "top" in a terminal kjournald was with "nice" -5... Still on that topic they don't say anything about fixing this ...

slux
Linux 3.x
Linux 3.x
Nome Cognome: Andrea Amerini
Slackware: 14.1 x86
Kernel: 3.12.0-smp
Desktop: xfce 4.10
Contatta:

Messaggio da slux »

Welcome tftd! :D

Just a silly question.... does your hard drive is ok? Kjournal manage the ext3 filesystem journal.Maybe there is some hardware problem.Try with a live cd ( Slax for example) and do a fsck of your offline hard drive.
Check also smartd messages.

See you and welcome again :)

tftd
Linux 0.x
Linux 0.x

Messaggio da tftd »

Ok... I fixed this problem.
After 3 days of configuration and 5 different versions of the kernel I finally managed to stop this CPU overload.
The problem is somewhere inside the source code of the kernel. I've selected the exact options which I select every time so this means that the dirvers are not written good.

I'm currently using kernel 2.6.22.9 and the problem isn't occurring. I don't even see kjournald in the "top" list. It's running but it's not using so much resources. Now it uses about 1-10% cpu/memory which i assume is normal.

\:D/ 8)
slux ha scritto:Welcome tftd! :D

Just a silly question.... does your hard drive is ok? Kjournal manage the ext3 filesystem journal.Maybe there is some hardware problem.Try with a live cd ( Slax for example) and do a fsck of your offline hard drive.
Check also smartd messages.

See you and welcome again :)
Hey slux !
Thank you, I've tested that also - my hard drive is absolutely OK. When I'm booting from a live cd everything is working again perfect.
I can't seem to find smartd messages ... where can I locate them ? :-k

slux
Linux 3.x
Linux 3.x
Nome Cognome: Andrea Amerini
Slackware: 14.1 x86
Kernel: 3.12.0-smp
Desktop: xfce 4.10
Contatta:

Messaggio da slux »

I can't seem to find smartd messages ... where can I locate them ?
You must enable the smartd daemon first ;) then check /var/log/messages as root.
I'm currently using kernel 2.6.22.9 and the problem isn't occurring.
Very odd ... :roll:I'm running 2.6.24 vanilla with your same chipset (i915 with ich6) and never had similar problems.Maybe a bios bug?Or some mystical incompatibility ??? :lol:
Anyway I prefer jfs as filesystem, I think is more affordable.Ext3 in past was a bit problematic for me,but I was also more newbie than now lol...

Anyway you could try to contact the ext3 coders to troubleshoot your problem.Some update of ext3 code looks broken for you... :-k

Sayonara :)

tftd
Linux 0.x
Linux 0.x

Messaggio da tftd »

It's really odd because I was using 2.24.5 when I was with Slackware 12.0 and I had NO problems.
Everything was working just as it should be - no cpu/memory overload.
The time it took the system to boot was 2-3 minutes ( including logging into a user and then starting X.... ).

Can you provide me a direct link to the root site of ext3 ... I'm finding only sites that explain what is ext3, who invented it and etc but no info about contact with developers... ?

P.S. Oops .. I think I found it - sct@redhat.com :D

Thanks in advance,
tftd

Rispondi