But I want to ask something...
First of all I want to tell you that I know how to compile a kernel by myself. I have to do that just because my ISP uses an encrypted connection. So I need MPPE/MPPC support in my kernel. And there is a patch for it. I know how to patch the source, and to do "make menuconfig", "make", "make modules_install" and "make install"...
The problem is that I am doing this with the kernel from /testing... (2.6.13 is the latest there)
So I am installing all those .tgz files via "installpkg" and then patch the source and compile the new kernel.
Now I want to compile the latest one, but with the archive from http://kernel.org/
"What's the difference?", you'll ask...
Well, I just want to know... In /testing we have:
alsa-driver-1.0.9b_2.6.13-i486-1.tgz
kernel-headers-2.6.13-i386-1.tgz
kernel-modules-2.6.13-i486-1.tgz
So I will extract the 2.6.14.2 archive in usr/src/linux... Will compile it then.
But what about those packages?
Will I have alsa-driver-1.0.9b for 2.6.14.2? Or headers for it?
I mean I have those from /testing installed. Will they work with the new kernel? OR will they be replaced after compiling?
I am using the command "make modules_install", so I suppose kernel-modules-2.6.13 will be replaced with kernel-modules-2.6.14.2
But what about the headers and the alsa-driver?
These questions may sound stupid for you, but I really want to know...

